Week 2 of the EDCF Nutrition & Wellness Program is underway! Here are a few words from Coach RJ:
I hope week 1 went well for everyone. I hope everyone is weighing 3 times each week. Please don’t get attached to those numbers though, remember your weight is just an easy variable for us to track. Make sure if you didn’t take a week 1 photo that you do that here in the next few days please.
We want to keep up what you guys started during week 1 by eliminating inflammatory foods. Have you been looking at the nutrition facts on the labels of your food? Start to make a habit of glancing over that when your are cooking the item or buying it at the store. See what the actual serving size is, look at the sugar content and see if you can pronounce most of the ingredients. These are good habits to start now so you are more aware of what you put in your body.
Week 2 we want to begin to cut down on the processed foods we eat (things that come in a package like: pop tarts, processed fruit juice, frozen dinners and pizza, crackers/chips). Not all processed foods are bad we just want to make sure it’s not the bulk what what you are consuming each day. They are usually loaded with sugar, preservatives, salt, hidden wheat and soy.
Aim to eat a green vegetable 3x/day and one cup of a non-starchy vegetable at each meal this week. Yes, they both may be the same vegetable meaning, you could have a cup of asparagus at each meal and that would meet the requirement of both and you don’t have to eat 2 cups at that meal if your choose that vegetable. Food is fuel! So fuel your body with what it NEEDS!
I want to end this email with a few things coach Kat brought up with her group last week that I think is perfectly worded and great information to keep in mind during these 12 weeks:
1) Food is GOOD! It is fuel, it is energy, it is life. It is not the enemy. The functional power that food has in relation to the workings of our health is an amazing thing so I’d encourage you to try new foods and recipes to see how your body responds!
2) You are strong and capable adults. Having a donut was not a “weak moment” – it was a choice, and if you make that choice, don’t beat yourself up over it! 🙂 Try being like a baseball pitcher who throws a ball when it was meant to be a strike and move on. Be kind to yourself – you have thousands of meals ahead of you, so don’t dwell on the past. Like the game, your life will go on!
3) Take 1 week at a time! As the saying goes: this is a journey, not a destination. Some of you may lose steam along the way, and just because you don’t fully participate in a week or two, doesn’t mean you’re out of the program. Just check in with me and we’ll get you back on track.
Please let me know if you have any questions or need any guidance, I’m here to help! I want everyone to be successful and more importantly, happy.
Have a great week and hit the ground running. Y’all are going to crush this week!
– Coach RJ
A) Snatch cycle day 4
B) E90S x 8 sets
– hang snatch + snatch
*Build from 65-95%. No misses!
C) “Murph” Prep
– 800m run, then
– 10 rounds of:
- 5 pull-ups
- 10 push-ups
- 15 air squats
*Please join us for our annual Memorial Day Murph event on 5/29. More details to come…
A) Every 2.5 min x 6 sets: back squat
Set 1 – 6 reps @ 65%
Set 2 – 4 reps @ 75%
Set 3 – 2 reps @ 85%
Set 4 – 2 reps @ 90%
Set 5 – 1 rep @ 95%
Set 6 – One set of: max unbroken reps @ 80%
***only allowed only one full breathing cycle at the top of the lift – exhale, inhale, brace and descend – once more rest is taken at the top, the set is over!
**compare set 6 to what you got on 4/11/17
B) Every 7 minutes x 3 sets:
– 500/400m row
– 20 wallballs
– 15 burpees
*Rx+ perform 30 wallballs.
A) E90S x 8 sets:
– hang clean + clean
*Build from 60-90%. These should be squat cleans if able.
B) EMOM x 12-21 min:
1: 250/200m row
2: 8-12 push press (115/75, 95/65)
3: 6-10 box jump – step down (24/20”)
A) At 0:00:
– Row 1000/800m
– 50 RKB swings (53/35)
– 25 pull-ups
– Run 800m
– 40 alternating DB snatches (50/35)
– 20 toes to bar
3 rounds for time
– 200m run
– 20 RKB swings
– 10 toes to bar
*Perform all sets at 80-90% pace. Stay consistent.
C) Accumulate 3 minutes in an L-sit.
A) E3MOM x 15 min:
– 5-5-5-3-3 push press (build to a heavy set)
– 6-12 strict supinated pull-ups
*Building heavier than last week.
B) Three sets of:
– 16 x front rack weighted BB box step ups (knee height)
– 12 DB Romanian deadlifts @ 2011
*Rest as needed
C) 3 sets of:
– 6-8 kneeling landmine presses /side @ 2111
– 6-8 bent over BB rows @
– 6-8 two arm turkish sit-up w/ hold @ 2111
*Rest as needed
8am Masters CF
11am FREE Intro To CrossFit
Open Gym TBA