- Get Started
Get In Touch
East Dallas CrossFitCrossFit workouts are comprised of constantly varied functional movements (like pushing, pulling, squatting, lifting, running) executed at high intensity. The workouts themselves are completely scalable, which means that a new participant and a CrossFit veteran can complete the same workout with changes in load and intensity. CrossFit workouts will deliver phenomenal fitness in and of themselves or as a compliment to your sport-specific training regime. If you're interested in joining us at East Dallas CrossFit for a free 1 on 1 intro session or free Saturday workout, click here for more details.
With the temperature warming up, we thought it would be fun to do a little in house competition before summer rolls around. Introducing the EDCF Spring Body Composition Challenge. Unlike the past diet and exercise competitions we have put on with their endless points and spreadsheets, we have decided to make this one a little easier on everyone.
The competition starts on Monday, March 17th and will run for 8-9 weeks. There are just two main parts to the competition with prizes for each! There will be a pre and post-test for body composition via a mobile hydrostatic body fat testing clinic located at the gym. So what will the test exactly tell you?
- Your fat and fat-free body mass, as percentages and in actual weight
- How much fat, if any, you need to lose to achieve your desired body composition
- How many calories per day you burn without exercising—unique to you
- How many calories you burn from different exercises—again, specifically for your body
- Where you are on a scale of ideal body fat for your age and gender
The competition starts Monday, March 17th. The body fat testing clinic will be at the gym from 4-7pm. Each test takes approximately 10 minutes and you have to reserve your time beforehand. We cut a deal with the company – The first test is $49.00 and the re-test is $39.00
Sign up through the following link
Here’s a short video of what to expect:
There are two prizes, one for best attendance during the challenge (challenge starts the day of test, challenge ends the day of retest) according to front desk and only according to front desk., (no emailing after class to say you were there but didn’t sign in etc). So make sure you sign-up beforehand AND sign-in when you get arrive at the gym for class!
The other prize is for best improvement in body fat percentage. For instance if you have % body fat of 10% to start, the 9% at the retest you lost 10% of your total body fat. If you start at 5% and retest at 4% you lost 20% of you body fat.
Again the pre-test is Monday, March 17th. Put it on your calendars!
Leave a response
In the last post, we discussed the mass confusion around the term “clean eating”. This week, we’re discussing how to make clean eating a reality. Paleo & Zone are, more or less, the official Crossfit diet programs. You can do all the research that you want about super foods & macro ratios, and you’ll find way too many options. The truth is that everyone is unique. Something slightly different will work for everyone. However, Paleo Zone is pretty darn good, and it works for a lot of people.So, save yourself a lot of research go with a template that works. After you’ve adopted this approach, you may want to tweak it slightly to meet your own needs. Some people might be able to integrate full fat dairy, some people might need fewer carbs, and so on. Still, this is a great place to start, and (for many people) this can easily be a lifetime nutrition program that consistently works. Paleo tells you what to eat, and Zone tells you how much to eat. So, let’s say you want to give this whole Paleo Zone thing a whirl. Here’s how you can do it!
1) Find out your Zone prescription. Use this link. The final page will tell you that you should be eating XX blocks. Blocks are basically a way of creating balanced meals. Every meal will contain equal “blocks” of carb, protein, and fat. For example, you might have a 4 block lunch, followed by a 2 block snack in the afternoon. If you’re interested in learning more, check out Enter the Zone by Barry Sears.
2) Now, choose your favorite paleo foods from this list of foods. Brussels Sprouts, Turkey, Avocado ….yum! If you’re eating a 4 block dinner, you simply pick 4 items from each list. If you’re eating a 2 block snack, you simply pick 2 items from the list. Don’t know what Paleo is? Check out this link.
3) Next, decide how much you need to buy for the week, based on your Zone prescription. For example, a 14 blocker would need about 14 oz meat/day, so about 6 pounds in a week. Veggies vary, but you’re likely looking at a few pounds of veggies per week.
4) Buy and cook that food! Paleo Zone doesn’t happen on accident! Check out Part 3 of this series for a few meal planning tips. (coming soon!)
5) Store the food in the fridge, and eat that yummy goodness all week!
Here’s a few mindset tips before you get started:
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. It’s better to eat a salad with a little bit of cheese and ranch, than to not eat the salad at all. It’s better to have some peanut butter (not technically paleo) on a banana as a snack than to find yourself hungry and gorging on cookies later. 80% of the time, eat well. 20% of the time, allow yourself some flexibility.
No one is responsible for your health but you. Yes, we know that Susie brings cake to the office meetings. We know that you work long hours. We know that you don’t like to cook. It doesn’t matter. Tough love time, guys! If you want to be in your best shape ever, you’re going to have to give up all excuses and just do it. It’s worth it! Promise.
You don’t have to be uber-precise if you don’t want to be. Following the Zone perfectly isn’t easy. If you are willing to do it perfectly every day, then I applaud you. What a man/woman you are! For everyone else, just implement the key takeaways: eat enough protein for your body. Eat lots of healthy veggies. Make your meals balanced. It’s simple stuff: eat whole foods in the form of balanced meals. Not too much, not too little. Most people will benefit from measuring their food diligently the first week or two, and then can eyeball it after that.
Remember that the body composition challenge will be starting next month! Now is a great time to dial in your nutrition…and win a prize or two!
Leave a response